Another great session I attended at NASSCOM ILF 2013 was by Devdutt Patnaik. Dr. Devdutt Pattanaik is an Indian physician turned leadership consultant, mythologist and author whose works focus largely on the areas of myth, mythology, and also management. He has written a number of books related to Hindu mythology. He is the chief belief officer of Future Group, one of India’s largest retailers, bringing the wisdom of Indian mythology into Indian business, especially in human resource management. He writes a column for the newspaper MiD DAY. There are many videos of him on Youtube that you can view.
While I missed the initial part of his session, here are the notes from that parts I attended.
- Storytelling can create the culture you like.
- We are all seeking meaning. Nature will not give you meaning. To nature we are all the same. We are all animals. To nature, man is no different from cockroach.
- Purpose of storytelling is to give us meaning.
- As leaders, we should tell stories. Stories make us believe.
- Advertising tells a story.
- If you empathize, you will be better story teller.
- Give me Hope
- Give me Security
- Give me Identity
- Be Sensitive to my fears
- Don’t invalidate my imagination
- Make me the Hero, not you or the product
- Human beings are frightened. Leaders should help people get out of fear.
- Tell honest stories. Show vulnerability but not weakness.
- Listen to your customers’ needs before telling your story.